The Young Funeral Home & Cremation Services, Inc. was established at its current location by H.H. Brownlee in 1888. The original owners also sold furniture in addition to being the local mortician, Both Brownlee and his partner W.B. Barr were among the areas leading funeral directors as well as furniture suppliers.
In addition to W.B. Barr, several others were associated with the success of the Brownlee Funeral Home. Among these individuals were Elmer Sharp, Gene Arnold, Albert Theophiles, C.W. Leech, and in later years William "Bill" Mellon.
In 1918, a partnership was formed between H.H. Brownlee and his son , Ray A. "Whitey" Brownlee.
With the complete remodeling and renovation of the business property and home in 1940, the Brownlees eliminated the furniture trade from their business.
On February 18, 1947, Howard V. Ferrell joined the Brownlee Funeral Home as a funeral director and embalmer.
Brownlee and Ferrell further expanded their business in October 1957, with the purchase of Houghton Funeral Home, West Alexander, PA.
Following Ray Brownlee's death in 1969, the name of the funeral home remained the same until 1971, when it was changed to the Howard V. Ferrell Funeral Home. The funeral home then became the Michael H. Heinrich Funeral Home in the mid 1990's until 2013.
The funeral home is now the Young Funeral Home & Cremation Services, Inc. having been given the state approval to operate as a business on June 13, 2014. The Young Funeral Home & Cremation Services, Inc., is a family owned business, a full service funeral home as well as offering a variety of cremation services. In addition to our at need services we offer many pre planning service options too.